Photobucket
http://airrakyat.epetitions.net/images/petitions/046bde8e644231f0515ba45e14f2e9df/topBanner.jpg

05 April 2010

Magnitude 7.2 earthquake hits Mexico



05th April 2010
A strong earthquake south of the U.S.-Mexico border Sunday shook high-rises in downtown Los Angeles and San Diego and was felt across Southern California and Arizona, but there were no immediate reports of major damage.

The quake occurred at 3.40pm Pacific time (10.40pm GMT) 16 miles south southwest of Guadalupe Victoria, at a depth of 20 miles according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The area had been hit by magnitude 3.0 quakes all week.

The quake was felt as far north as Santa Barbara, USGS seismologist Susan Potter said.

Strong shaking was reported in the Coachella Valley and Riverside, California.

The earthquake rattled buildings on the west side of Los Angeles and in the San Fernando Valley, interrupting Easter dinners. Chandeliers swayed and wine jiggled in glasses.

In Los Angeles, the city fire department went on earthquake status and some stalled elevators were reported. No damage was reported in Los Angeles or San Diego.


Damage included fallen cables and devastation in local shops, below



In the Phoenix area, Jacqueline Land said her king-sized bed in her second-floor apartment felt like a boat gently swaying on the ocean.

'I thought to myself, that cant be an earthquake, I'm in Arizona,' the Northern California native said. 'And I thought, oh my God I feel like I'm nine years old.'

A police dispatcher in Yuma, Arizona. said the quake was very strong there, but no damage was reported. The Yuma County Sheriff's Office had gotten a few calls, mostly from alarm companies because of alarms going off.



Mike Wong, who works at a journalism school in downtown Phoenix, said he was in his second-floor office getting some work done Sunday afternoon when he heard sounds and felt the building start to sway.

'I heard some cracking sounds, like Rice Crispies,' he said. 'I didn't think much of it, but I kept hearing it, and then I started feeling a shake. I thought, 'You know what? I think that might be an earthquake.'

Wong said the swaying lasted for 'just a few seconds,' and he didn't notice any damage.-www.dailymail.co.uk



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...